Roasted cauliflower steaks
BY Jessica McGowan | 12 December 2022
Cauliflower is a delicious low-carbohydrate vegetable. When roasted, it becomes sweet and caramelises around the edges. Serve these steaks with a leafy green salad or alongside any vegetable side.
1 large white cauliflower
Juice of 2 lemon
2–3 garlic clove (finely grated ) — more if you like garlic!
Extra-virgin olive oil — about ¼ cup
Salt to taste
1 handful of unsalted, roasted hazelnuts (coarsely crushed ) OR 1 handful of pine nuts (cooked in a small amount of extra-virgin olive oil to very lightly “brown” them — about 2 minutes at medium to high heat — need to watch them as they can burn quickly.
Prepare a simple salad to go alongside
Romaine lettuce /other lettuce
Chopped coriander to taste
1⁄2 avocado — cut into chunks and mix with the juice of 1⁄2 lemon
Balsamic vinegar to taste (not too much, as it contains quite a bit of sugar)
Extra-virgin olive oil ( drizzle over)
Eat as much of the lettuce as you like. Just don’t overdo the avocado or the oil/balsamic.
Preheat oven to 200 ºC
- Cut the cauliflower into 3⁄4-inch thick steaks. You should get at least 3 “steaks” per head of cauliflower. Cut longitudinally. Keep the end pieces and the bits that fall off and add them to the roasting pan too.
- Place into a lightly oiled large roasting pan / dish.
- Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt to taste (about two pinches) and then paint / drizzle over the cauliflower steaks on one side.
- Then grill / roast the cauliflower in a hot oven for 15 minutes and then turn over and paint the other side and roast for another 12 minutes (a few minutes longer if you prefer — you can test it as you go).
- Sprinkle over the nuts and eat.