Broccoli and Brussels sprout salad
BY Jessica McGowan | 12 December 2022
A crunchy and fresh salad that goes great with an oven-baked sweet potato or some avocado on the side. The bacteria in our digestive system love cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts.
1 cup (250 g ) of brussels sprouts
1 large head of broccoli
A sprinkle of nuts of choice ie, pine nuts, walnuts, or hazelnuts
Juice of 1 lemon
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 ½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat the fan oven to 190 ºC
- Take the head of broccoli, remove the stalk, and carefully cut the thick skin off the stem, discard the skin and cut base lengthways into strips. Next, cut the head in half, starting at the crown thinly slice both halves. Take Brussels sprouts, cut the end off, thinly slice lengthways. Combine into large bowl, sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- Place broccoli and Brussel sprouts on a baking tray, bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Take the nuts and roughly chop, place in small frying pan and toast for 1–2 minutes or until slightly brown. Watch like a hawk — they can easily get burned. Remove from the frying pan straight away and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the lemon juice, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and mix well.
- When ready to serve drizzle the dressing over the broccoli and Brussels sprouts and lightly toss.
- Sprinkle with toasted seeds and serve immediately.