Baked green falafel with lemon tahini dipping sauce
BY Jessica McGowan | 29 September 2023
Falafels can be a healthy hearty dish, especially when they are baked and not deep fried.
Chickpeas are a valuable source of protein and iron which are both essential for a good health.
Double this recipe to use for quick easy lunches, simply add salad and go!
2 cans of chickpeas (800g) — drained and rinsed
2 garlic cloves
150g of baby spinach
1½ tbsp of ground cumin
½ lemon zest
1 tbsp of flaxseeds
1 large handful of fresh parsley or coriander
2 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
Extra-virgin olive oil to cook
½ tsp of paprika or sumac
Tahini dipping sauce
4 tbsp of tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
1 garlic clove minced
¼ cup of water
2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender. Blend for 1–1½ minutes until just combined. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Using a tablespoon as a measure, scoop the falafel mix. With clean hands, roll into balls and flatten slightly, place on a greased baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, flip the falafels halfway through.
- While falafels are baking, add all ingredients for dipping sauce into a small bowl, using a fork, whisk until well combined. When sauce begins to thicken it is ready.
- Serve falafels with dipping sauce as an entrée or snack, or have with a salad for a large delicious meal.